Day 3: tackling the gym

Day: 3 of 42
Last recorded weight: 78.4
How I'm feeling today: I was surprised to wake up to find my headache is still hanging around. It feels like a withdrawal headache, but I'm sure it's not from caffeine. I got a headache like this the first time I did a detox, so maybe it's all the nice fat being burnt and releasing toxins into my system

(Okay, so I naughtily weighed myself today and I've lost a kilo already! Could this just be mainly all the solid food leaving my body? Or am I really going to lose a kilo every second day. Very exciting!)

I'm not usually honest about how seldom I've been to the gym in the last decade or so. But the shameful truth is that, while I've had a gym membership for over 10 years, I have barely set foot in the place for at least 5 years. Maybe twice that I can remember, plus a 6 week programme I did once.

I am currently a full time carer, so I've finally got no excuse not to go. And actually I've always wanted to, I just couldn't find a way to squeeze it into my day.

I checked out four gyms near me in Auckland, before settling on the The Olympic in Newmarket, Auckland. Primarily because it has, at its centre, a beautiful Olympic length pool that I hope to utilise when I feel swim suit ready.

Here's a run down of the gyms I looked at:
  • The Olympic: only one studio (but I'm not really into classes), one spin studio, a weights studio on a mezzanine looking down over the pool, which is nice and of course the pool in the center. There's a nice happy vibe at the place as it's full of Mum's with their kids in the paddling pool, learner divers and a swimming school. Plus the changing areas are clean, have hair dryers and reasonable looking showers, and the gym is not too smelly.
  • City Fitness: in a fantastic old factory building. The weights studio has a very, very high stud, so I can't imagine it ever getting smelly. A women's weights area, which is great when you don't want to have to adjust everything each time you want to use a machine. And a discount if you belong to Southern Cross.
  • Genesis Fitness: an amazing new gym in Meadowbank, with the newest equipment I've ever seen, and pretty much empty. I think I would have joined this one if it wasn't that little bit further away and had a pool.
  • Fit for Life Gym: a small, intimate gym with private, 24hr access. They will do a structural assessment and build a programme around areas of your body that need additional support, and pay closer attention to their clients that a big gym is able to.
Today's gym visit was to go through what I'm trying to achieve, take my initial measurements and measure my fitness levels. You can probably guess at what I'm trying to achieve - better strength, tone, fitness and weight loss - but I also threw in a request for an exercise to perk up the girls. I'll leave the butt until I see how it looks in a few weeks. It usually looks after itself when I start giving it a workout.

Body fat: 26.63% (18-20% is average for a woman my size, 13-18% is healthy)
BMI: 21.18

I was naively surprised to find that my instructor knew all about protein diets and pretty much all of the lithe fit looking women working there were permanently on a diet similar to the one I've just embarked on. I caught myself in the mirror next to the elastic band showing me around and I've definitely been in Baluongaville way too long.

Today's Meal: Classic Cob Salad with Ritz crackers, followed by fresh Grapes

A cobb salad has a whipped cream and blue cheese dressing, served with a salad of grilled chicken and boiled eggs. Rather than have my grapes afterwards, I added them to the salad.

The salad has further blue cheese crumbled over the top, so you really have to like it. My dinner companion had to give up half way through after a stoic effort. But you could easily omit the crumbled blue cheese for the sake of super tasters in your household.

I drank a glass of San Pellegrino sparkling mineral water as I made dinner, and with my meal, and really enjoyed it. I buy San Pellegrino to drink in place of my habitual glass of wine because it feels more "special" than soda water, and actually does have quite a distinctive taste (I did a blind taste test once). I find serving it in a wine glass adds to the ritual, and means the action of drinking also feels like a glass of wine. I've surprised myself by not missing alcohol one bit.

Comments

Popular Posts