Time to fix the greeblies in my gut

So now I need to do something to fix the flora in my gut. Restore the good bacteria and kill off the bad. One way to do this is antibiotics, but that is the last thing I want to add back into my body so I'm going to try a combination of diet and supplements instead.

In addition to supplements to encourage the death of the harmful bacteria, I'll be taking supplements to heal the lining of my gut, and antioxidants to support mitochondrial function (energy created within your cells).  My mitochondrial function is sluggish as my cells are trying to deal with toxins and molecules produced by the harmful bacteria in my gut, that are leaking through my gut wall into my bloodstream.
Obviously I need a diet that is going to starve the bacteria, but which one do I choose? There are so many options:
Because I know exactly what bacteria is inside of me, I've decided to first get an idea of what specific foods and supplements will kill each of the bad guys, and later help the good guys make a come back. Then I'll pick the diet that most supports this.

My particular mix includes Enterococcus bacteria (closely related to Streptococcus) which produces D-lactic acidosis, with has been linked to chronic fatigue syndrome, therefore I need to avoid some of those foods that other people with Intestinal IBO / SIBO might find helpful - anything that produces lactic acid in the gut.

My plan is to work out what specifically positively and negatively affects each type of bacteria so, after killing it down as much as I can, I can encourage the good and discourage the bad. One thing I do know - there's no point taking probiotics as the bad guys will just gobble them up straight away. That's something I'll be adding once I'm in "restoration" phase. My plan is two weeks of starving the bacteria, then four weeks of growing back the good stuff and healing my gut.

Specific Foods and Supplements That Kill Bad Bacteria

Kill the Bad Stuff

Enterococcus distribution 60% - should be less than 5% OVERGROWTH
Eubacterium distribution 19% - should be less than 15%  OVERGROWTH
Clostridium distribution 43% - should be less than 1-10% OVERGROWTH
  • Avoid sugars. Glucose and fructose are potentially very damaging to the body because they get fermented by streptococcus into D-lactate, which can cause foggy brain
  • Chewing gum with xylitol - kills Enterococcus
  • Avoid D-lactate producing foods and supplements (Kombucha, most pickled foods, acidophilus)
  • Vitamin C to kill microbes in the gut
  • Fresh garlic to kill microbes
  • Oregano Oil to kill microbes
  • Feed them with prebiotics (I'm going to use Tri Biotics by Nutricology)
  • E.coli ferments galactose and fucose: figs, hazelnuts, chickpeas
  • Mutaflor replaces E.coli – ½ a capsule daily for two days, then 1 capsule daily for seven days then 2 capsules daily for 14 days and adjust the dose subsequently according to response.
  • My doctor has suggested a probiotic enema at this stage. It needs to be Bifidus only - no Acidophilus. I am even considering colonic irrigation, but there's controversy ar0und this procedure still, and I'm worried it might do bad stuff given my previous bouts of ulcerated gut.
Grow the Good Stuff

Bacteroides distribution 38% - should be 90-95% LOW
E.coli distribution 40% - should be 70-90% LOW
Lactobacillus distribution 0% - should be 0.5-1.5% LOW
Bifidobacterium distribution 0% - should be 5-11% LOW

Comments

Popular Posts