Day 19: vegetarianism verses the Meat Weeks

Day: 19 of 42
Starting weight: 78.4kg
Last recorded weight:
75.1kg

How I'm feeling today: lacking in energy again. I've read that this can be a symptom of a low carb diet, so either it's that or because I've been staying up too late catching up on my blog.

Eating meat again has been interesting. Now I've not eaten it for over a year, I'm much more sensitive to the death that occurred for me to be able to eat it.


Several of my friends have become vegetarian over the years, primarily because they don't want to support the factory chain style meat production we've some how all bought into.

But needless death is also a factor, given that, in our relatively wealthy western society, there's plenty of other foods available. If you have a good conversation with yourself about why you eat meat, you will ultimately end up with two reasons that don't really stack up against Death: it's easier to cook and you like the taste.

My vegetarian friend David Cauchi once pointed out to me that Leonardo da Vinci was vegetarian famously stating that meat eaters make themselves "a tomb for all the animals." And he - certainly - was an enlightened soul.

But then I ask myself if I have become too soft in my protected "pork", "mutton", "sweetbreads" pseudonym-filled Life. And maybe just too removed to the visceral reality of hunting, killing and consumption that would be my daily preoccupation if I was living as a natural animal.

The mechanism of the meat industry still disturbs me. I subscribe to the idea of returning to a type of feudal arrangement, in which we all contribute to growing our own food at a local farm, including a small amount of livestock that we eat on special occasions rather than gluttonously as we do now.

My sister's a vegetarian and stayed over last night. She reckons she can definitely see a difference in the weight around my face and tummy. But also that I've got dark rings beneath my eyes and don't look very healthy.

Today's Food:
  • Mushrooms, salami and eggs for breakfast
  • (No lunch as I was feeling queasy and had no appetite)
  • Dinner: salmon parcels with capsicums, zucchini, onion and lemon, served with a green salad and vinaigrette

Comments

Popular Posts